Re: glibc-2.1 upgrade headaches. Any ideas??

CaT (cat@zip.com.au)
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 13:23:02 +1100 (EST)

Alex wrote the following:

> I am having quite a problem with glibc-2.1. I am wondering if anyone has
> encountered the following. I am running RedHat 5.2 with 2.2.1-ac6 kernel and I
> upgraded my glibc-2.1. Upgrade went smooth without any errors.But now, when I want
> to run menuconfig on linux-2.2.2 with ac-7, it is giving me a message:
>
> "There seems to be a problem with the lxdialog companion utility which is
> built prior Menuconfig. Usually this is an indication that you have upgraded/
> downgraded your ncurses libraries and didn't remove the old ncurses. . . "
> But I did remove it from /usr/include as well as any links pointing to ncurses.h
> and recompiled ncurses again! But it is still complaining about it. I also ran
> "make distclean" on /usr/src/linux directory as well as "make mrproper." But
> alas, I am still getting it. I wanted to recompile my egcs-1.1.1 but it is failing

This will be of no help to you whatsoever but I'm in a replying kinda
mood. I had this exact same problem. This was with a glibc 2.0.10x
version and I had recompiled ncurses. make menuconfig would not work.
Period.

Eventually, I wound up trying it remotely (via telnet due to being out
of the city at the time) and it worked. And it has worked ever since,
despite multiple ncurses installs.

> at the very end complainig that gcc is not working. But it does work, and I tested
> it (with generic "hello world" program :). I am out of ideas and if anyone who
> could help me out I would be V-E-R-Y appreciative. Thanks again. Alex

This, I've never had happen.

--
CaT (cat@zip.net.au)                       URL: http://www.zip.com.au/dev/null

An electricity provider of New Hampshire, US has advised it's customers that in the event of a power failure they can log on to its website for more information... - Paraphrased from the New Scientist, Feb 6, 1999