Re: glibc-2.1 upgrade headaches. Any ideas??

CaT (cat@zip.com.au)
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 16:47:46 +1100 (EST)

Conde Martinez Rodolfo wrote the following:

> On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, CaT wrote:
>
> # Conde Martinez Rodolfo wrote the following:
> # >
> # > On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, Tom Eastep wrote:
> # >
> # > # Alex wrote:
> # > # >
> # > # > I am having quite a problem with glibc-2.1. I am wondering if anyone has
> # > # > encountered the following. I am running RedHat 5.2 with 2.2.1-ac6 kernel and I
> # > # > upgraded my glibc-2.1. Upgrade went smooth without any errors.But now, when I want
> # > # > to run menuconfig on linux-2.2.2 with ac-7, it is giving me a message:
> # > # >
> # > # > "There seems to be a problem with the lxdialog companion utility which is
> # > # > built prior Menuconfig.
> # > #
> # > # You need to rebuild ncureses -- see the glibc 2.1 FAQ.
> # > #
> # > Sorry the intromision....but i downloaded glibc-2.1-0.99022 my
> # > question here is if it's this version of glibc-2.1 that you are running or
> # > you got to download the last version before gnu put it away from
> # > pub/glibc ??? if so any of you know if the version i got is safe and have
> # > no problems with 2.2.x kernels.....???
> #
> # I managed to get what I believe is the real one. I've never seen one like the
> # one you descrive. is that from a tarball?
>
> I got it from at.rpmfind.net it's an binary rpm package....The one
> you say you got to compile it or is there a rpm package available ???

What I got was a source code tarball. Untar, compile, install. No rpm
involved.

> #
> # > AAHH !! one last think....is it okay to built the kernel wiht
> # > egcs-1.1.1 ???
> #
> # I've been happily doing it for a while with -O2 optimisation and
> # -march=pentiumpro and haven't had a single kernel crash.
>
> if it's going well then how do you change the flag -m486 for
> -mpentium (or as you said -march=pentium instead of Ppro) ?? do you have
> to do it manually ???

Look in linux/arch/i386/Makefile. Should be obvious which one to
change. :) If not then holler again. :) And use -march=pentium.

--
CaT (cat@zip.net.au)                       URL: http://www.zip.com.au/dev/null

An electricity provider of New Hampshire, US has advised it's customers that in the event of a power failure they can log on to its website for more information... - Paraphrased from the New Scientist, Feb 6, 1999