Re: Intel EtherExpress PRO/100 Server Adapter

Tom Sightler (ttsig@mindspring.com)
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 01:25:25 -0500

>On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Deepak Saxena wrote:
>

>> The Pro/100 Server Adapter is not an I2O device. The 960 is just used
>> to run the firmware for the card and do buffer mnagement functions
>> under NT and Netware BorderManager. The Pro100 driver won't work since
>> the driver has to go through the firmware and doesn't talk directly
>> to the 82558 MAC chips is my guess.
>But the card works under M$ Winblows with the standard EEPRO/100 driver, so
>presume it should work with the standard Linux EEPRO100 driver.
>
>marek

This may sound nuts, and maybe I missed it earlier, but isn't it possible
that, if this card will operate with the standard EEPRO100 driver for
windows, that the only reason it doesn't work with the Linux driver is the
that it is failing to detect it during the PCI probing?

A quick glance at the driver finds this code:

if (pcibios_find_device(PCI_VENDOR_ID_INTEL,

PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_82557,
pci_index, &pci_bus,
&pci_device_fn))

Another glance at pci.h and you find:

#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_INTEL_82557 0x1229

According to the first post the Device ID for this card is 5201. Since 5201
<> 1229 the card would never be detected by the eepro100.c driver and thus
it would never work.

A quick test to see if this helps would be to modify the code as follows:

if (pcibios_find_device(PCI_VENDOR_ID_INTEL,
0x5201,
pci_index, &pci_bus,
&pci_device_fn))

Recompile and this should force the driver to detect the EtherExpress
PRO/100 Server Adapter (of course it would no longer detect the standard
EEPRO100 cards, but it is just a test).

I think this is worth trying, as everything I read about the card indicates
that it should work with the standard EEPRO100 drivers.

Later,
Tom