Re: Parition Slices ( waqs Re: OFFTOPIC: New MBR and partitioning

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 10:53:04 +1100

Edward S. Marshall writes:
> The same way your scheme did. Keep in mind, the idea with devfs is to
> eliminate the old /dev/hdX naming scheme, and replace it with something
> more sensible (much like your idea was shooting for).

Hold on, there! I've never said I wanted to drop the old names: they
will be supported for compatibility. It's one thing for me to provide
a new naming scheme which I think is better, but it's another thing to
remove support for the old names. That's not my decision: it's up to
the community.

Also: devfs is less about names than it is about scalability and
management issues. The names are secondary.

Regards,

Richard....