Re: Hard Drive Cache information

Alan Olsen (alano@adams.pcx.ncd.com)
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 10:01:29 -0800

On Mar 5, 10:55pm, Andre M. Hedrick wrote:
> Subject: Re: Hard Drive Cache information
> On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, Alan Olsen wrote:
>
> > I have a Toshiba MK-4006MAV laptop drive. When 2.2 boots, it reports the
drive
> > as having a 0k buffer. The specs for the drive list the buffer as 512k.
>
> Many drives use the so called buffer storing the firmware; however, it is
> unusual that one would require all of the 512k. Most notable is the
> Fujitsu Drives that have a 256k buffer that reports as ZERO.

Well, this drive is supposed to have a 512k buffer. I have gotten reports from
others that this model of drive reports as having a 0k buffer (and acts like it
too). The drive is giving me other problems and I am trying to get it swaped
out on RMA.

> > Is this a known problem drive or is it broken in the kernel or is my drive
just
> > broken. (The latter may be true, but I have no reliable way to verify
this.)

> Not broken, just a "Toshiba laptop"............see page one of message
> at www.linuxhq.com...........you may want to find another laptop.

I wish I could afford to, but I think I would be shopping for another wife if I
did.

--
Alan Olsen        "Carpe Aptenodytes!"
alano@ncd.com