Re: Grr..

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
8 Mar 1999 05:28:59 GMT

In article <7bv76d$707@pell.pell.portland.or.us>,
david parsons <o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s> wrote:

> I'd guess it's because the developers at BSDi are willing to use
> segmented memory, and Linus isn't.

Actually, while I've always looked at the 36-bit extensions with extreme
distaste, Stephen Tweedie convinced me that we can really cleanly and
fairly easily support it in a perfectly reasonable manner. It won't be
100% support, but it looks better than just using it as a ramdisk (we
can basically use it for page caches and anonymous pages without having
to get ugly about it - they have enough of an abstraction layer that it
doesn't impact the rest of the system much at all)

So we may actually end up with a reasonable support for it. The page
cache and anonymous memory is really what people want anyway, other
memory uses are basically "fluff" compared to those two.

We'll see. The proof is in the code, and while Stephen made a very good
case for something that I would accept, we'll just have to see how it
works out. Right now the alpha/sparc64 approach is still the only
reasonable choice with Linux.

Linus