Re: Simple DoS...out of resources?

Kurt Garloff (K.Garloff@ping.de)
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 21:52:45 +0100

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l

On Mon, Mar 08, 1999 at 01:39:24PM -0500, rewt wrote:
> It is very easy to crash a system simply by viewing a large file with
> editor such as pico. It will eat up all the resources and do some
> unpredictible things. In my case I viewed a 100mb file as it was reading
> it, it filled up all the swap space which is 48mb. It killed most of the
> processes including sendmail, sshd, X, syslog. Does anyone have any idea
> how can i protect myself against that kind of DoS? My configuration:
> P100, 48mb ram, 48mb swap running on kernel 2.2.2.

help ulimit (bash)
man 2 ulimit
/usr/src/linux/kernel/sys.c: sys_getrlimit(), sys_setrlimit()

--=20
Dipl.Phys. Kurt Garloff <kurt@garloff.de> [Dortmund, FRG]
Plasma physics, high perf. computing [Linux-ix86,-axp, DUX]
PGP key: see mailheader / key servers [Linux SCSI driver: DC390]

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l--