Re: TCP window updates [Was: PROBLEM: Sending mail-attachment]

Chris Wedgwood (cw@ix.net.nz)
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 14:02:08 +1300

On Mon, Mar 08, 1999 at 04:37:08PM -0800, David Miller wrote:

> tcpdump sniffs the "wire", this means incoming and outgoing packets,
> thus you are seeing loopback transmit and receive every frame.
>
> If this bothers you write some sed script to uniqify the lines output
> based upon timestamp or something like this.

Actually, I've found this useful -- I was debugging a quirky network
problem (slow TCP throughput) and the absence of some packets being
doubled up turned out to be a clue that the driver was dropping some
frames...

-cw