Re: Missing ppp-compress modules.

Tue, 9 Mar 1999 19:57:46 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999 stp@shell.flite.net wrote:

> Hi. When I connect to the net with kernel 2.2.1 in my messages file I get
> messages that say something like:
> modprobe: Can't find ppp-compress-21, 24 and 26.
> I wouldn't mind the messages just appearing in my message file, but with
> out these modules loaded I only get like 2.2 kps downloads.
> So what I'm wondering is how do I get the kernel to load these modules
> when it needs it? I'm using slackware 3.6.

You should put aliases in /etc/conf.modules like:
alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx
alias scsi_hostadapter sd_mod
alias eth0 eepro100
alias ppp-compress-21 ppp_deflate <------------
alias ppp-compress-24 bsd_comp <--------- Whatever modules you like
alias ppp-compress-26 equ <------------

> Something else I notice:
> When I use the default 2.0.35 kernel that comes with slackware I get the
> usual 3.2 kps downloads and those messages do not appear in the
> /var/log/messages file. So how do I fix this, cause in the 2.2.1 kernel I
> have sound support and would like to have the sound and the faster
> downloads.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.2.2 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).