Re: RFC: ISA Plug and Play Implementatio

Itai Nahshon (nahshon@actcom.co.il)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 15:15:50 +0200

Jeremy Katz <katzj@linuxpower.org> wrote:
> Hi. As Linus has stated several times that he does not like any of the
> implementations for ISA Plug and Play devices which are currently out

I can understand why.

> there (kernel-space), I have begun to try to work on one myself, mainly
> for 2.3.x. I currently have detection of devices and knowing what
> resources they will accept and was wondering how people thought that the
> actual allocation of resources should be handled. Part of the problem
> (IMO) with the current code is that it requires a) every driver to know
> about plug and play or b) the plug and play to know about every driver.
> Unfortunately, I've been unable to come up with a great way to get around
> this and was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

I have one computer that is loaded with ISA cards (modem, isdn, scsi,
sound) and PCI (vga+tv, ethernet). Two of the ISA cards are PnP (and
that's more than the average).

I'm using isapnptools and I'm happy with it. All the above devices
are usable in Linux (all at the same time). I cannon say that about
other OS that claim to support PnP (pronounced "Plug and Pray").

I am aware that isapnp has some limitations. First it is far
from being user friendly. A nice GUI wrapper would be nice for
new users.
The other problem is that the devices that it supports must be
loaded as modules (same thing applies to kernel isapnp tools that
need to interact with a userland daemon). In the (rare ?) cases
of isapnp boot devices, initrd can be used.

Itai

--
Itai Nahshon   nahshon@actcom.co.il
        Also   nahshon@vnet.ibm.com