Re: Linux/IA-64 byte order

Zygo Blaxell (uixjjji1@umail.furryterror.org)
10 Mar 1999 13:02:27 -0500

In article <199903090533.QAA24644@vindaloo.atnf.CSIRO.AU>,
Richard Gooch <rgooch@atnf.csiro.au> wrote:
>Oliver Xymoron writes:
>> On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Richard Gooch wrote:
>Not that I know of. BTW: I don't really see how your scheme would
>work, since I don't think you could "make an empty map" anyway. All
>you could do is find a vacant region in VM, and mmap() a single page
>at a time as you needed it. That's horrible.

Make the map, find out where mmap() put it, then munmap() it. Bingo, one
empty map (i.e. one that will SEGV when you access it) that is
exactly the right size.

Hmmm...of course, you now have to prevent anything from mmap()ing a page
into the empty area afterwards. Does mmap() with no access bits
(PROT_READ/PROT_WRITE etc) work, i.e. create a mapping that you can't access?

--
Zygo Blaxell, Linux Engineer, Corel Corporation, zygob@corel.ca (work),
zblaxell@furryterror.org (play).  It's my opinion, I tell you! Mine! All MINE!