Re: Jumping penguin on matrox-fb

Kurt Garloff (K.Garloff@ping.de)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 23:39:41 +0100

--o0ZfoUVt4BxPQnbU

On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 09:02:47PM +0000, Dave Jones. wrote:
> I was unaware of this, and was still using the defaults.
> I'll play with this a little when I get home..
> I don't understand though why implementing the SW scrollback should
> cause the penguin to have to be moved to the other side of the screen!
> maybe make it user-configurable?
> CONFIG_PENGUIN_ON_RIGHT :)

The penguin(s) in 2.1 kernels originally were on the left side.
I really liked it, but I missed the scrollback a lot, so I hacked fbcon.c
and moved the penguin to the right side and reenabled the scrollback for the
left side of the lines.

On the other hand, it was rather a hack, which turned out to work for most
people, so it was integrated into the kernel. On the other hand, there's a
much cleaner method of allowing scrollback now, and the penguin was moved
back to the left side.

> > > It's irritating, as it tends to get in the way of the boot messages,
> > > forcing me to do a dmesg | less if I want to read something.
> > Did you ever tried `shift-pgup' ? Penguin disappears and you can scroll
> > back through messages...
>=20
> Yes, but as I was using the defaults, I couldn't pgup to the top of the
> part I wanted to read. I was able to read messages /quickly/ during
> bootup. Now, I find I have to read even quicker.. or use dmesg when my
> eyes can't track that fast :)

Ctrl-S (=3DXOFF) or Scroll-Lock will stop the processes from outputting to =
the
terminal and Ctrl-Q (=3DXON) or SCroll-Lock again will reenable it.

Use Ctrl-S and Ctrl-PgUp to scroll back.

Hope this helps,
--=20
Dipl.Phys. Kurt Garloff <kurt@garloff.de> [Dortmund, FRG]
Plasma physics, high perf. computing [Linux-ix86,-axp, DUX]
PGP key: see mailheader / key servers [Linux SCSI driver: DC390]

--o0ZfoUVt4BxPQnbU

--o0ZfoUVt4BxPQnbU--