RE: Reason for sound dropouts found

T.Mertes@mobilkom.at
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 19:17:00 +0100

Thomas Sailer wrote:
> T.Mertes@mobilkom.at wrote:
>
> > Right, an mp3 buffer can be much smaller than a wave
buffer. Here
> > you
> > can save RAM. But you have to expand the mp3 sound which
costs time
> > and that can make problems when there is high CPU load.
A plane

> Then set your player process to RT. It works, I've tried. It even
> works on my P75 laptop, where mp3 decoding takes ~80% CPU, even
> during high disk IO activity / kernel compile, etc.

Does this also work when I play wave files?
They are much bigger and the waiting points are always the
read() syscalls of the player.

I do not think that even RT process priority can influence the wait
time for a read() syscall when the system is under disk load.

I will try it at home

Thanks, have a nice weekend

Thomas