Re: PlugNPlay Bios expert wanted ;-)

Vojtech Pavlik (vojtech-lists@twilight.ucw.cz)
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 22:05:04 +0100

On Fri, Mar 12, 1999 at 05:32:31PM +0100, Ulf Jaenicke-Roessler wrote:

Basically, the Realtek people are right. The W9x simply removes the value
for the interrupt number of the ethernet card from the PCI config space
register of that card. The number was written there by the BIOS, while
initializing the PCI subsystem to tell the operating system which IRQ was
assigned to the card.

This is a problem of W9x and, as far as I know could only be fixed by
re-assigning all the interrupts to PCI cards upon Linux boot, which doesn't
happen now (though is possible to happen in the future).

So, the only solution for you now is to mark the linux batchfile as needing
a different configuration in W98, so that W98 reboots prior to running it.

Or, alternately, throw away W98 ;)

Have fun,
Vojtech