Re: [OFFTOPIC]: MS Porting Office to Linux?

Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:25:18 -0500 (EST)

On 12 Mar 1999, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Followup to: <Pine.LNX.3.95.990312151303.2072A-100000@chaos.analogic.com>
> By author: "Richard B. Johnson" <root@chaos.analogic.com>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> >
> > Alex,
> > It comes with its own C-library. It doesn't need to use yours. You
> > put their c-library where they say it should be, modify environment
> > variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include theirs, add their library directory
> > to ld.so.config, execute `ldconfig` and it will work.
> >
> > FYI, their library should be in /opt/Office40/lib. I have 5.0, so
> > it's in /opt/Office50/lib. Here is my LD_LIBRARY_PATH (this goes in
> > /etc/profile).
> >

> GAAK! This is ridiculous...
>
> -hpa

It's either this or they have to static link! This would turn it into
real big bloat-ware, it is very large. 5.0's installation program
is more complete, but you still have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH and,
if you want their library cached, fix up /etc/ld.so.config.

Of course, the best thing would be for them to provide source. In
that case, it's `xmkmf` ; make makefiles ; make ; make install
and then you are done.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.2.3 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).