Re: [OFFTOPIC]: MS Porting Office to Linux?

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 13:08:23 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

>It's either this or they have to static link! This would turn it into
>real big bloat-ware, it is very large. 5.0's installation program
>is more complete, but you still have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH and,
>if you want their library cached, fix up /etc/ld.so.config.

And what is the difference between static linking, and dynamic
linking that requires a specially distributed shared library that
must be used?

I fail to see the difference. If the shared library isn't the
one that everything else on the system uses, then IT ISN'T
SHARED. In other words, if commercial program A required library
B to be used, and only program A is using it, then nothing is
sharing the library, and the application might as well statically
link in the first place as it will consume the same resources,
and perhaps be a bit slower due to dynamic linking.

>Of course, the best thing would be for them to provide source. In
>that case, it's `xmkmf` ; make makefiles ; make ; make install
>and then you are done.

Agreed, but unlikely.

--
Mike A. Harris                   Linux advocate      GNU advocate
Computer Consultant                          Open Source advocate

The DVORAK keyboard layout RULES! I memorized it in 45 minutes and I don't think I'm ever going back to QWERTY!