Re: vfork: out of memory, when there's plenty of swap free

Chuck Lever (cel@monkey.org)
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 17:22:22 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Pavel Machek wrote:
> I've been running some rather evil tests.
>
> Recipe:
> 32Meg RAM
> 128Meg swap
> 2.2.3 kernel
>
> run make -j and watch. Peak swap usage gets to 50Meg or so, then it
> starts dying with vfork: out of memory. [Can someone reproduce these,
> please?]
>
> Does it mean we have problems with memory fragmentation? Do this
> problems need to be solved in 2.2 series?

i'm just theorizing here, but i'd bet this is another symptom of the
problem i'm chasing with strange buffer cache behavior. it looks to me
like this really isn't a buffer cache problem, but some kind of
pathological interaction between virtual memory management and file system
I/O that limits disk throughput far sooner than it should.

it appears when you start swapping because that's also when shrink_mmap()
is busy stealing pages from everyone in sight, including the buffer cache.

IMHO this is a show-stopping problem for anyone who is serious about using
2.2 for large servers. when the system boots, performance is fabulous,
but over time, it degrades.

- Chuck Lever

--
corporate:	<chuckl@netscape.com>