Re: patch names hack

Oliver Xymoron (oxymoron@waste.org)
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 12:19:00 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Oliver Xymoron wrote:
>
> > And simply being able to build 2.2.x and 2.2.x+foo on the same machine
> > without having them overwrite each other's modules should be worth it by
> > itself for developers.
>
> Can't you already do this since EXTRAVERSION is still in the Makefile and
> all the associated scripts??? I know that I had a 2.2.2 and a 2.2.2-ac7
> built with separate module directories, etc.

Heh. I wasn't aware that Alan was doing that. The EXTRAVERSION thing
"works" for exactly one patch. Patches on top of it result in rejects.
Imagine combining a Linus -preN with an Alan -acN. Therefore to keep
patches orthogonal, the only person who should modify any of the VERSION
lines in the Makefile is Linus. The patch names hack keeps each extra
version component in a separate file (along with its description) so there
are never rejects.

Arguably the EXTRAVERSION thing should be killed in favor of this
approach. Arguably the version number should be untied from the Makefile
entirely. But I don't really feel like arguing about that.