Re: vfork: out of memory, when there's plenty of swap free

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 18:20:02 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:

>It might certainly be an option to allocate inodes in bigger chunks at a
>time. That would at least make the problem become less.

It would make the problem to go away completly according to me.

We simply need to alloc 32pages at time instead of 1 page at time. This
will probably improve allocating performances and will avoid us to leave
bomb on the VM over the time. Low memory machines could complain because
the minimal granularity of inode-nr will be a 32pagechunk, but I don't
think this is an issue.

Andrea Arcangeli