Re: [OFFTOPIC]: MS Porting Office to Linux?

Alex Buell (alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 19:13:13 +0000 (GMT)

On 13 Mar 1999, david parsons wrote:

> >> How many _programs_ are in the SO suite?
> >
> >Just one big program!
>
> So SO would add ~250k to the size of their code by statically
> linking to libc? And they'd gain independence from the library
> of the week club? This looks like an unqualified win to me.

Actually I was wrong. SO consists of one big core module and a number of
private libraries (23 of them!). This is a big win when it comes to
multi-user Linux systems

> david parsons \bi/ Now a statically linked X3.3.3 will dump core trying
> \/ to do dlclose. Sigh. X is evil(tm).

Tee-hee. It's just not your day isn't it? X isn't evil - software has no
concepts of "good" and "evil", but let's not get philosophical now. OK, I
think it's time to nuke this thread - I'm sure I'll get some hate mail
for posting this.

Cheers,
Alex

--