Re: swapping slow downs in 2.2.1

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 02:24:34 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, Idan Sofer wrote:

>i'm running a 2.2.1 kernel on a P166 with 16MB of memory, and two swaps,
>40MB on a partition and another 10MB on a filesystem.
>
>I use Gnome 1.0(with gtk-themes)+Enlightenment snapshot regulary, and they
>often take up to 30-40MB of swap, and i must say the performance is
>amazing, especially if you compare it to a windows machine.

Could you try out also ftp://e-mind.com/pub/linux/arca-tree/2.2.3_arca3.gz
and make comparison between the two VM?

>however, if i make swapoff -a, and then swapon -a, the system become fast
>again.

Looks like due swapspace fragmentation.

>is it a bug, or is it a feature?

Sure not a feature but neither a bug. To recover from that you can swapoff
-a as you did. Or maybe we could defrag the swap at runtime but I don't
think it's time to do that and I don't know how much it worth to do that.

Andrea Arcangeli