Re: [OFFTOPIC]: MS Porting Office to Linux?

Philip Blundell (philb@gnu.org)
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 19:10:33 +0000

Richard B. Johnson wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Marc Lehmann wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 12, 1999 at 03:25:11PM -0500, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
>> > Alex,
>> > It comes with its own C-library. It doesn't need to use yours. You
>> > put their c-library where they say it should be, modify environment
>> > variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include theirs, add their library directory
>> > to ld.do.config, execute `ldconfig` and it will work.
>>
>> this does not work reliably. using your configuration, staroffice
>> still has to use the dynamic linker from /lib.
>
>Well there have been a lot of nay-sayers. However, I can assure you
>that it should work, and does work. When shared-library code is
[...]
>Micro$garbage.doc files that I had been emailed, but hadn't read for
>months. I have libc-5.2, libc-5.3 and glibc-2.0.6 library files.

It works for you because the dynamic linkers from glibc 2.0.6 and 2.0.7 are so
similar; it doesn't really matter which one is used. If you try to use a 2.1
ld.so with a 2.0.7 libc on the other hand, you will be in trouble.

p.