Re: bind 8.2 will not compile with Linux kernel 2.2.3

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 02:25:04 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, David Lang wrote:

> bind 8.2 complains about /usr/include/linux/un.h
> (which maps to /usr/src/linux/include/linux/un.h which is why I am
> sending it to the linux kernel list as well as the bind-bugs list)
> the exact error is
>
> gcc -O -g -I../../port/linux/include -I../../include -c pathnames.c
> In file included from /usr/include/sys/un.h:1,
> from pathnames.c:25:
> /usr/include/linux/un.h:7: parse error before `sa_family_t'

sa_family_t is used as type name (which it is) but gcc didn't see
the corresponding typedef, so it stares at the body of struct definition
and sees unknown identifier in the place where the type should be. For
what gcc cares, it is not different from
struct foo {
undefined_name bar;
}
sa_family_t is defined in linux/socket.h *if* you insist on using
the kernel headers at all.
What's wrong with sys/un.h, BTW?