Re: [OFFTOPIC]: MS Porting Office to Linux?

Harald Koenig (koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 11:15:07 +0100

On Mar 17, Marc Lehmann wrote:

> Do you want to share any reasons for this bad claim? The fact that staroffice
> uses undocumented functions in 2.0 that were removed in 2.1 is an established
> fact.

_which_ functions ? can you please give any example(s) to show this
and how to check myself ? I'd really like to see myself who's right
and what/how StarOffice broke (esp. to learn for myself).

just claiming "my code isn't broken -- it's yours" doesn't help me,
I won't believe neither the one nor the other without facts and proof!

> And yes, staroffice is broken. If you claim otherwise you really have to back
> this up (but you can't).

sorry, IMHO this is plain silly. if you know what's wrong with SO,
please let us (or me privately) know how/where.
if not, don't claim so and ask others to disprove your unproven claims.

> It is a big deal, as many distributions wanted to switch to 2.1 but couldn't,
> because suddenly a few of the comemrcial programs stopped working.

pardon me, but is 2.1 released at all ? suggesting commercial/serious
developers to use the latest/greated/internally-released/work-in-progress/for-
-your-eyes-only/to-be-updated-tomorrow version of glibc isn't what
I'd think is the best for the image of Linux as stable, rock solid
and upward-compatible system.
I'm really disapointed to see "get the every single latest flee from the bazar"
way of thinking -- it's not fun at all if you're trying to get real work done
with Linux.

and what was the state of 2.1 stability and compatibility when SO5
(or netscape 4.5, or oracele/...) was released (long time ago!) ?

please note that this is not a problem with StarOffice only.
quite a while ago (when SO5 already was released;), I tried to use
some netscape 4.0x and 4.5 versions for glibc 2.0.x with more
recent glibc versions (don't remember exact version), and
all tested combinations chocked horribly, so I just stepped back
from pre-2.1 at that time. haven't tried again since then though...

Harald

PS: I'm not releated to StarOffice in any way (I don't even use it)
and I don't advocate for or against it. only I finally really want
to know what's going on with all that glibc stuff.

--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\