Re: DES module in kernel?

H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com)
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 08:19:55 -0800 (PST)

> Recently, people have discovered a loophole in the US regulations. You
> can apparently perfectly legally export encryption software in paper
> form (this is what was done for pgp-5.0 and pgp-6.0 (see
> http://www.pgpi.com/faq/pgpi.shtml#Why). Perhaps this is what has been
> done for KerberosV?

I once had the idea of producing a very simple paper journal (complete
with ISSN number and all) -- very barebones, on only plain white
paper, a very simple editorial policy (pretty much printing anything
that came down a mailing list), and a very large number of issues (on
the order of one per day.) Due to the ad hoc nature, subscribing
might be expensive to the general public, but we could offer discounts
to "qualified research institutions". Since it would be fed from user
input, the copyright policy would explicitly allow redistribution.

Get the hint here?

-hpa