Re: Q: ext2fs on other OS's

Jeremy Fitzhardinge (jeremy@goop.org)
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 12:42:27 -0800 (PST)

On 18-Mar-99 Peter van Sebille wrote:
> The problem I'm having is that this application
> must link against ntddll.dll (part of a normal NT distribution), but
> its ntdll.lib (needed for linking) is _only_ included in the DKK.
> Am I allowed to distribute this NT e2fsck work as GPL if the user
> can't link the app without the DDK; or should I find a workaround
> for this ?

The GPL gives special exception to system libraries which a GPL'd program must
link against in order to run. The fact that the DDK doesn't come with the base
OS is not an issue - Solaris doesn't ship with a C compiler, but that doesn't
preclude distribution of GPL'd programs in binary form for Solaris (though it
helps that there are free C compilers for Solaris, but there's probably no free
substitute for ntddll.dll, unless Cygnus have done something clever).