Re: DES module in kernel?

Trond Myklebust (trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no)
19 Mar 1999 01:09:57 +0100

Mike Eisler <mre@eng.sun.com> writes:

> I didn't condone the "illegal" export, I merely refused to congratulate Trond
> for not using the code that was already exported.
>
> BTW, a legal route for this might have been through Canada:
>
> http://insight.mcmaster.ca/org/efc/pages/doc/crypto-export.html
>
> which chronicles the successful, sanctioned export from Canada to England of
> MIT Kerberos V5, beta 5 on a floppy disk.
>
> So I may owe the ftp site maintainer an apology for terming his acquisition as
> illegal. Only he knows.

Indeed.

Just to close a rather pointless debate: my original posting was not
an attempt at self-congratulation, but merely to point out that the
assumption made by a previous poster that MIT can and does flount US
law is not a sound argument on which to base any kernel policy
changes. I should perhaps have worded things more carefully...

Cheers,
Trond