Re: `Out of memory for cc1' in linux-2.2.4

Nix (nix@esperi.demon.co.uk)
24 Mar 1999 20:47:03 +0000

"Stephen C. Tweedie" <sct@redhat.com> writes:

> > Mar 23 22:23:35 dalles kernel:
> > Mar 23 22:23:35 dalles kernel: Out of memory for cc1.
> > Mar 23 22:25:09 dalles kernel: put_dirty_page: page already exists
> > Mar 23 22:25:09 dalles kernel: put_dirty_page: page already exists
>
> This is very bad: something is seriously corrupt somewhere for these
> put_dirty_page messages to occur. Is the problem reproducible? Are
> there any other messages in the syslog which might narrow down the
> problem?

FWIW I've had the same symptoms with a stock 2.2.3 kernel. Also running
cc1, during an egcs snapshot test run. I thought it was merely owing to
running out of memory (egcs has been known to bloat to ridiculous size
during the test runs, in the past. I do not know whether or not it
actually did so in this case).

If it recurs in 2.2.4 I'll provide more information.

At any rate, this is a confirmation that it is fairly unlikely to be
hardware problems causing this.

--
`Anything else just amounts to repeatedly hitting yourself on the head
 with a virtual icepick, and is just about as useful.' - Linus Torvalds