Re: OT: ISDN modem channel bonding

Fuzzy Fox (fox@dallas.net)
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 18:19:09 -0600

Tim Hockin <tphocki@www.orl.ilstu.edu> wrote:

> > As a 3com Impact IQ modem owner, I feel that I can safely say that the
> > Linux kernel version has nothing to do with channel bonding in the
> > modem.
>
> I, too am an Impact IQ owner. It is a VERY NICE ISDN adapter.
> The problem lies not in the kernel, but in PPPd 2.3.

What does the pppd version have to do with it? The modem controls the
channel bonding internally.

> I can get dual channel ISDN on ppp-2.2.0, but options changed in 2.3, and
> not one single person I know has been able to get this combo working.

Well, here I am.

Channel-bonding works perfectly on my 3com Impact IQ, with pppd 2.3.5,
using both Linux 2.1 and 2.2. Why on earth would it fail to work? I
can't think of a reason.

> I have not gone into the pppd source, since it is not a major issue
> for me, but if you get it fixed, I know a great many people who will
> thank you.

I don't even think there's anything in the PPP protocol that would
control channel bonding. But then, I haven't looked at the source,
either. As far as I can tell, though, PPP just treats the IQ like a
very fast modem. It works.

> p.s. - I just stayed with 2.2.0 - <shrug>

I wanted 2.3 because of the demand-dial features. :)

--
   fox@dallas.net (Fuzzy Fox)      || "Nothing takes the taste out of peanut
sometimes known as David DeSimone  ||  butter quite like unrequited love."