Re: NetGear FA310TX/tulip.c

Gerhard Mack (gmack@imag.net)
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 01:17:22 -0800 (PST)

VIA chipsets seem to have DMA problems with pretty much any device that
wants DMA. The only machine I've had that's been via had it's motherboard
replaced a coupple months ago and suddenly everything on that machine
works. I also seem to recall a thread about the sound drivers and via
chipsets might wanna check the archives for it.

Gerhard

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Andre M. Hedrick wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Dave Weis wrote:
>

> > > Out of curiosity, why do you refer to the Tulip clones as
> > > `abominations'? I'm running a few of them in high-performance
> >
> > The spontaneous reboots and/or lack of functionality in via chipset based
> > machines made me call them much worse than that.
>
> Dave,
>
> What are specific complaints against the "VIA Chipset" are you refering
> to and a list of effected mainboard venders would be useful. Since I will
> be getting few flavors on loan to resolve IDE-DMA issues that some folks
> have, I would be able to poke into some of the issues you have. Also I
> have many of these "FA310TX" cards that have been nothing less than rock
> solid with the "tulip.c" code.
>
> Andre Hedrick
> The Linux IDE guy -- http://www.dyer.vanderbilt.edu/server/udma/
>
> APC UPS Daemon Support Center.
> http://www.brisse.dk/site/apcupsd/
> Going FSF/GNU or GPL2 source soon.
>

> -

gmack@imag.net

As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.