Re: Programatically scrolling VCs?

J. S. Connell (ankh@canuck.gen.nz)
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 19:46:30 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Dominik Kubla wrote:

> helpful for trackball users with a wheel. You will also want to check how
> XFree86 handles the wheel, so that there won't be different usage depending
> on wether a program is run in a xterm or on the console.

It appears as Button4 (click) and Button5 (spin). xterm will use them for
scrolling - see /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/XTerm.

My ergonomic Logitech MouseMan has a fourth button that X currently seems
to think is a second button 2. Must (a) fix that and (b) figure out a use
for it.

BTW, if someone's working on the console driver, why don't you implement an
ioctl() that will copy the current selection to/from a buffer, so that you
don't have to trigger a paste and try to figure out where it ends? I've
thought about this a couple times in the last few years, and it'd make a
gpm<->X cut buffer gateway much easier.

--Jeff