Re: GNU/Linux stance by Richard Stallman

Matthew D. Pitts (mpitts@suite224.net)
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 20:58:55 -0500

Barry,
> This is ridiculous!!! Gee, I'm going to use GNU find to pipe my files of
my GNU filesystem into GNU grep to locate, will
> is it my file or GNU my file or my GNU file?

Whoa, people. Don't start a flamewar on this list. RMS is technicnally
correct in calling it GNU/Linux, for the simple reason that only the kernel
proper is "Linux". Almost everything else in a basic system is GNU
software; libc5/glibc2, gcc/egcs, etc.

> Andy Carlson wrote:
>
> > Has anyone seen this? Where Richard Stallman stood up and insisted
that
> > Linux be called GNU Linux?

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/headlines/technology/zdnet/story.html?s=n/inter_c
tive_week/technology/19990325/19990325201
Matthew D. Pitts
mpitts@suite224.net