Re: `Out of memory for cc1' in linux-2.2.4

Nix (nix@esperi.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 06:20:15 +0000 (GMT)

Stephen C. Tweedie writes:
> Hi,
>
> On 24 Mar 1999 20:47:03 +0000, Nix <nix@esperi.demon.co.uk> said:
>
> > FWIW I've had the same symptoms with a stock 2.2.3 kernel.
>
> Including the "put_dirty_page" messages?

If my memory serves, then yes, including those messages.

> Those are supposed to be a
> this-can't-happen condition.

If the horde of `out of momory' reports was any guide, not all was well
in there in any case. After all, if cc1 has just OOMed out, there
should be enough free pages that nothing else will OOM soon. Instead,
everything else in the testsuite run OOMed one after another, expect,
runtest, make, and all.

I thought it wasn't a kernel bug and so didn't preserve the logs &c
unfortunately; if it happens again (which it hasn't, yet) I will forward
the relevant info to the list.

--
`Anything else just amounts to repeatedly hitting yourself on the head
 with a virtual icepick, and is just about as useful.' - Linus Torvalds