Re: nfs inode busy message in 2.2.4

Trond Myklebust (trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no)
26 Mar 1999 15:55:46 +0100

Tom Holroyd <tomh@nibh.go.jp> writes:

> Since I booted 2.2.4 (with the b_count patch), I have been seeing things
> like this:
>
> kernel: __nfs_fhget: inode 218787 busy, i_count=2, i_nlink=1
> kernel: nfs_free_dentries: found //ROCKY2.JPG, d_count=0, hashed=1
> kernel: nfs_dentry_delete: //ROCKY2.JPG: ino=218787, count=2, nlink=1
>
> The file in question had been deleted many hours previously from an NFS
> server on a Solaris system. The message was apparently triggered by a
> cron job that does a find. The file had been moved to the server, used
> there by a program running on the server, and then deleted (but now I
> can't remember if I deleted it from the server side or the client side).
> Anyhow it had a fairly short life. And the system was pretty quiescent
> after that until the find ran.

This is quite normal. It is just telling you that the inode number
218787 has been reused by the server, and that the cached dentry
associated to 'ROCKY2.JPG' is therefore invalid. Since the d_count is
0, that means the dentry was not in use, so you will have no problems
or side-effects.

Cheers,
Trond