Re: NetGear FA310TX/tulip.c (VIA problems)

Dan Hollis (goemon@sasami.anime.net)
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 16:04:19 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Aaron Tiensivu wrote:
> As far as I know, even the CE revision is affected. VIA is absolutely silent
> on the matter which just makes them look worse in my eyes. It seems that
> anything DMA-ish, PCI or ISA, is flakey with any VIA chipset.

No problems here with both ISA and PCI DMA soundcards. Running UDMA IDE is
no problem either.

FIC PA-2012 motherboard.

> It worries me that AMD's K7 is going to have chipsets by VIA and I think ALI.
> The amount of bugs in the VIA and ALI Super7 chipsets gave the K6-2 a bad
> name even though the actual chip is quite dandy.

What bugs are you talking about other than the ISA DMA bug?

> It is a sad state of affairs when an AMD K6-2/300 runs faster on a intel HX
> chipset than a Super7 board, even with a 66mhz bus instead of 100mhz.

Have a link to benchmarks for this? Mine indicate VIA wipe the floor with
everything except Slot1 chipsets.

-Dan