Re: Linux-2.2.4 testpatch..

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 19:43:12 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

>I think the point Chuck was trying to make was not that preserving
>buffers was good because of making a pool of quick-allocation free
>buffers, but because doing so preserved the *contents* of those
>buffers ---- this is because try_to_free_buffers() doesn't take into

Impossible. Buffers in the freelist are not hashed in the buffer queue so
can't be reached and can't work for caching purposes.

>account whether the buffers on any particular pages are often
>referenced. So if the buffers contain the disk blocks corresponding to

My lru-pagemap code take it into account because if the buffer is searched
often it won't be at the end of the lru list.

>While I agree with you that leaving b_coutn as 1 is a really horrible
>way of fixing this problem, the real solution which is quite urgently
>needed is to put some more smarts into try_to_free_buffers....

I just fixed it from ages. try_to_free_buffers() here is called only on
buffers that are been not used since a long time.

Andrea Arcangeli