Re: Linux 2.2.4ac1

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 09:40:47 +1000

Thomas Wouters writes:
> On Sat, Mar 27, 1999 at 01:49:23PM -0600, Matthew Vanecek wrote:
> > No, that's Ok. I'm not sure who's patch to get, though, Alan's or
> > Richard's. Decisions, decisions! Are there implications in going one
> > way or the other? How about when 2.2.5 is released; how well will that
> > patch work? I've never really done in-between patches before.
>
> Well, as far as I understand, Richard's patch is only for Cyrix
> cpus, or it includes Alan's mtrr patches for the AMD. Alan's 'ac'
> kernel patches include a lot, lot more, mostly semi-stable drivers
> and interface changes that need testing. Alan also fixes the
> paper-bag mistakes Linus sometimes makes in releases (and makes one
> of his own, occasionally, but he releases the next version sooner
> than Linus :)

No, my publically released patches add support for Cyrix *and*
AMD. The AMD parts were based on Alans patch. Alan quickly hacked in
the AMD support, but it's not intended to go into Linus' kernel. It's
so that Alan can spped up his FB on his AMD machine ;-)

My patch restructures the MTRR support to make it easier to support
different vendors, and I've taken in patches which add the actual code
for AMD and Cyrix.

Regards,

Richard....