Re: GNU/Linux stance by Richard Stallman

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 13:03:57 +1200

On Sat, Mar 27, 1999 at 07:53:08PM -0500, Alexander Viro wrote:

> Ahem... Forgot to count ELF signature and headers, didn't you?

nope... the file size is 380 bytes or thereabouts maximum for sync,
which is the most complex of the three:

08048074 <.text>:
8048074: b8 24 00 00 00 movl $0x24,%eax
8048079: cd 80 int $0x80
804807b: b8 01 00 00 00 movl $0x1,%eax
8048080: bb 00 00 00 00 movl $0x0,%ebx
8048085: cd 80 int $0x80

whether it's sheel script or otherwise, your still going to end up
with a file much less than 1K is size, so who cares?

Really, the space used is a non-issue. I don't buy drives of less
than 25GB nowdays if I can help it, so a few bytes here or these
matters not.

> Minimal bin/true being #!/bin/sh - 10 bytes (you'll need newline at
> /the end).

It still takes 1K on disk miniumum (or 4K on my disks, as I use 4K
block sizes almost everywhere)..

It wasn't the size the made me do this, is was more of a speed issue
on some nasty scripts I had somewhere, I did it for speed, and
because I was at one point installing linux on machines with 2MB of
ram....

> Al, expecting one more nastygram from Richard
> now ;-/

I don't think RMS is silly enough to claim that true or false
contain enough non-trivial code to make any kind of copyright or
copyleft make sense.

-cw