Re: buffer cache behavior on memory-constrained systems (fwd)

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 04:50:01 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 27 Mar 1999, Chuck Lever wrote:

>> But more important you could have the first entry in the lru list not
>> freeable (don't ask me why ;), and in such case you would have big
>> stability problems.
>
>in which case you'd probably see some "out of memory" errors.

Yes, exactly.

>> Note that in ftp://e-mind.com/pub/linux/andrea-tree/2.2.4_andrea3.bz2 I am
>> just freeing pages in shrink_mmap() in perfect lru basis (taking care also
>> of buffer aging). But I am doing it at the pagemap level. I see it far
>> more clean and general. I am touching the buffer not in bread but in
>> get_hash_table and in getblk if the buffer is not found in the hash table.
>
>nice work, andrea...

Many thanks ;)).

>i've only tried this patch for a short time, but it seems to exhibit lots
>of desirable characteristics when memory becomes constrained. i'll take a

I am working still more on it. I had some further idea I am implementing
now. Maybe the next patch will be still better.

Andrea Arcangeli