Re: GNU/Linux stance by Richard Stallman

Oscar Levi (elf@buici.com)
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 21:13:31 -0800

On Sun, Mar 28, 1999 at 11:13:58AM +1200, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 26, 1999 at 10:59:01AM -0500, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
>
> > Check out /bin/false sometime. It is almost 100% bloat.
>
> This is why I wrote my own true, false and sync. Sadly, I've only
> done x86 and alpha so far:
>

> $ objdump -d /bin/true
>
> true: file format elf32-i386
>
> No symbols in "true".
> Disassembly of section .text:
>
> 08048074 <.text>:
> 8048074: bb 00 00 00 00 movl $0x0,%ebx
> 8048079: cd 80 int $0x80
>

> Similarly for false and only slightly more complete for sync.
>
> Anyone wanting the extremely complicated (patent pending) source code
> should contact me for licensing details and future release dates.

Clever. It is hard to argue with the elegance of your implementation.
It is equally tough to argue against the utility of

true --version

reporting its source.

And besides, anything less than a page is lost in the noise.

Still, yours are slick implementations.