Re: total freeze with framebuffer + X

Mikulas Patocka (mikulas@artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz)
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 20:27:45 +0200 (CEST)

> Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 17:52:02 +0100
> From: Pavel Machek <pavel@bug.ucw.cz>
>
> Just guessing, but it is generally bad idea to hit X with kill
> -9. When you shutdown and X are running, that _might_ happen. I do
> not know consequences - trashed display is the obvious one.
>
> This is wrong too. shutdown sends a SIGTERM or some other "light"
> signal, which X receives and then shuts down cleanly.
>
> Anyone who says that shutting down your machine from within' X can be
> expected to crash your machine, and that this is OK, is smoking crack.
> That's %100 a bug in my book.

And if X terminates slowly, SIGKILL goes in few seconds...

I found much more serious bug: xinit sometimes sends SIGKILL to xserver
when terminating. If your machine is under heavy load (make -j zImage) and
you correctly terminate windowmanager (not xserver), xinit kills xserver
with -9 and console is dead.

I think the kernel shouldn't allow users to send unmaskable signals to
suid programs.

Mikulas Patocka