Re: Suspend to Disk - Intel Architecture

Dan Mills (dm@cs.duke.edu)
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 04:05:25 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > For purposes of both learning more about the Intel architecture and
> > the Linux kernel, and doing something useful for my Toshiba 410CDT
> > laptop, I am attempting to write some simple(I hope) suspend to disk
> > code for Linux. I remember seeing a similar thread discussed a while
> > ago, but I plan on using a different method. I am taking the approach
> > of dumping an entire snapshot of memory to a partition, and then when
> > I get that working, a file.
>
> This is what snapshot does, with exceptions:
>
> it dumps to swap partition
>
> it does not dump unused memory.

How does it handle the cases where there is more used memory than space in
the swap partition? And where can I get this program?

Also, talking with a friend a few days ago, he mentioned a feature of
another unixoid os that allowed to take a snapshot of just one program
(and dump it to a file). This would be quite useful for a number of
things.. Is there anything similar in linux?

-Dan

--
 ////    | Dan Mills                  -o) |
  | |---o---3

"Forcing preloads on people is like refusing to sell me a suit unless I also pay for a pair of shoes, made by a wholly different company, that are two sizes too small for my feet."

--Donna., who got a $99 refund for Windows.