Re: Opening 5000 file descriptors in linux??

Mike Shaver (shaver@netscape.com)
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 16:57:48 -0500

Craig Munday wrote:

> Lokesh,
>
> I think you might find it problematic opening so many file descriptors.
> You should consider the activity of the client, my guess is not all clients
> will be active at the same time. Therefore you could have a pool of say
> 100 sockets (can be any number) that you share amongst the 5000 or
> 20000 clients. In this case each client has a type of virtual connection
> in the sense that the client may not actually have an open socket but it
> looks and acts as if it did.
>
> Obviously when either the server or the client needs to send anything you
> must re-establish the socket connection.
>
> Alternatively, you might be able to define a protocol that sends packets of
> data between the client and server. In this way, the socket is only open
> while the packet is being sent. This might get around your problem of
> having so many sockets open at once, but the process of opening and
> closing so many socket connection might be over whelming.

Obviously, this only works if you can change the client. If you're
writing a server that needs to talk to lots of socket-per-connection
clients, you need to have a lot of open file descriptors.

2.2.x with the large-fdset patches can handle > 10^5 descriptors, last I
heard from our server guys.

Mike

--
438865.40 72598.35