Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: Why are kernel releases not announced?

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 10:04:15 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Arvind Sankar wrote:

>> >Am I the only one who finds it annoying that kernel releases are not
>> >announced here?
>>
>> Yes. You might also be the only one who doesn't see the kernel
>> release announcements that *ARE* posted here.
>>
>> I just finished reading the release announcement from Linus for
>> both 2.2.4 and 2.2.5 on this list, as well as several of the AC
>> kernel release notes.
>
>If you had actually bothered to read the announcement for 2.2.5,
>you might have noticed that linus admitted that the announcement
>was delayed, and he gave a good reason for it, too.

Not only had I read the announcement for 2.2.5, and was fully
aware that Linus delayed the posting for good reason, but I also
was correct. Kernel announcements are posted here. The fact
that the message was delayed is irrelevant.

>The original author's post was made before linus announced 2.2.5,

*THAT* I did not realize. Firstly, my posting was not a flame,
but meant to be informative. Since I got the announcements just
fine, I couldn't see how he didn't if he reads the same list. I
just pointed out that i had in fact read the announcements, and
so they were there. I sort my email by subject for threading in
PINE, and did not try and co-relate the announcement posting with
the time of the poster's posting time. I assumed that he simply
did not get an announcement, or did not see one. A fair
assumption.

>but after several people had started discussing it.

Fine. You misunderstood my message. I misunderstood his reason
for posting. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming,
and we can put this in the bitbucket.

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                   Linux advocate      GNU advocate
Computer Consultant                          Open Source advocate

The DVORAK keyboard layout RULES! I memorized it in 45 minutes and I don't think I'm ever going back to QWERTY!