Re: GNU/Linux

Mark Hull-Richter (markh@procom.com)
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 09:21:06 -0800

--------------7ECB7F561AB8D6249BAD5B8A

Richard Stallman wrote:

> When talking about a Linux-based version of the GNU operating system,
> it's only fair to use GNU in the name. It's not a legal requirement;
> unlike the BSD developers, I'm not trying to force you. I'm asking
> you to do it voluntarily.

How do you define "a Linux-based version of the GNU operating system."?

Correct me if I'm wrong here:

Linux is a POSiX compliant (or nearly so) OS written in C and built
using GNU tools. It is not "the" GNU OS, now or ever.

"The GNU operating system" is the as-yet incomplete HURD, which had
little or no connection to Linux.

If the above are correct, I missed the point. Forgive my newness here -
I have only been involved in Linux for a very short time, with GNU tools
only a little longer.

Please reply to the list - I'm on it and need no extra copies of the
replies. Thanks.
--------------7ECB7F561AB8D6249BAD5B8A

begin:vcard
adr;dom:;;1821 East Dyer Road;Santa Ana;CA;92705;
n:;Mark Hull-Richter
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Procom Technology, Inc.
version:2.1
email;internet:markh@procom.com
title:Senior Software Engineer
tel;fax:949-851-3907
tel;work:949-794-4242 or 800-800-8600x67
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Mark Hull-Richter
end:vcard