Re: Linux v2.2.x README missing information

Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
30 Mar 1999 21:19:12 +0200

In article <cistron.Pine.LNX.3.96.990330080405.20526A-100000@whiterose.net>,
M Sweger <mikesw@whiterose.net> wrote:
>A)
>
>The linux 2.2.1 distribution README is missing the comments on the
> symbolic links in /usr/include
> i.e.
> cd /usr/include
> rm -rf asm linux scsi
> ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386 asm
> ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux linux
> ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/scsi scsi

If you do this with the Debian distribution you're toast.

The Debian libc-dev packages includes /usr/include/{linux,asm,scsi}
already. If you remove those and replace it by links you have
broken both the packaging system and your development environment.

If you need to compile something with the _kernel_ headers, just
include -I/usr/src/linux/include. But no sane program should
ever need to include <linux/....>

>Note: The Linux source tree can be installed before these links are put
> in. However, these links must be there if one is installing a
> precompiled binary libc6 library since some of the asm, linux and
> scsi include files are part of the libc distribution.

Ofcourse they are. And for a reason. You are not supposed to replace
or overwrite them. There is a _reason_ these instructions got removed
from the kernel README.

> The linux source tree should be installed after the libc6 installation
> due to some of the include files being overwritten with possible
> older versions in the libc6. I don't think this should break the
> libc6 distribution but the linux kernel may be.

You're breaking everything in sight here. Bad, bad advice.

Mike.

--
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?