Re: GNU/Linux

Jakob 'sparky' Kaivo (jkaivo@ndn.net)
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 14:34:24 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Joseph Malicki wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Richard Stallman wrote:
> > We've already had evidence posted to this list that FSF-owned tools
> > constitute less than 10% of the SuSE OS distribution.
> >
> > The FSF-copyrighted programs are a portion of the GNU software, and
> > tools are also just a portion. So what fraction of a particular
> > system consists of FSF-copyrighted tools has no special significance.
> >
> It has everything to do with it. People release software under the GPL
> because they like the license, not to be associated with the GNU project.
> Since linux is under the GPL, perhaps by your reasoning we should just
> have "RedHat GNU"?
>
> Joseph Malicki

You're taking things out of context. Where did anyone say that any code
released under GPL is GNU software? What he said is that not all GNU
software is copyright FSF. As an example, many bits of GNOME (the GNU
Network Object Model Environment, definitely part of GNU) are not
copyright FSF.

| Jakob 'sparky' Kaivo | jkaivo@nodomainname.net | jkaivo@ndn.net |
| NoDomainName Networks | http://www.nodomainname.net | http://www.ndn.net |