Re: Linux Makefile uses 'ls', causes problems with color-ls (PATCH)

Tue, 30 Mar 1999 20:30:26 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Charles R. Anderson wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
>
> root> The main Makefile uses 'ls' to 'Make modules_install' If you have
> root> color-ls installed, this will fail.
>
> I've used color-ls just fine with the kernel Makefile. I have my color-ls
> configured to not display colors if the standard output is not a tty:
>
> alias ls "ls --color=tty"

I just rebuilt color-ls so it doesn't DEFAULT to color. The original
defaulted to the essential equivalent of "color=on". This meant
that if the environment wasn't consulted, apparently what is happening
in my version of make when it forks the second-level shell, the
color will be on, even when piped or redirected.

Nevertheless, I suggest that there may be problems in the future
reported when external tools are used to replace built-ins.

There are better ways of patching the makefile than what I did.
In fact, you can get rid of the redirection to the temporary file
altogher. I just replaced 'ls' without actually trying to improve
anything.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.2.4 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).