Re: GNU/Linux

Stuart Lynne (sl@gateway.fireplug.net)
31 Mar 1999 05:16:36 GMT

In article <37010802.627813EB@procom.com>,
Mark Hull-Richter <markh@procom.com> wrote:
>--------------7ECB7F561AB8D6249BAD5B8A
>
>Richard Stallman wrote:
>>
>> When talking about a Linux-based version of the GNU operating system,
>> it's only fair to use GNU in the name. It's not a legal requirement;
>> unlike the BSD developers, I'm not trying to force you. I'm asking
>> you to do it voluntarily.
>>

>How do you define "a Linux-based version of the GNU operating system."?
>
>Correct me if I'm wrong here:
>
>Linux is a POSiX compliant (or nearly so) OS written in C and built
>using GNU tools. It is not "the" GNU OS, now or ever.
>
>"The GNU operating system" is the as-yet incomplete HURD, which had
>little or no connection to Linux.

To quote from Bach's "The Design of the UNIX Operating System" published
in 1986, page 4:

Viewing the system as a set of layers, the operating system is
commonly called the system kernel, or just the kernel, emphasizing
its isolation from user programs.

This is the definition of operating system I was taught in the early
seventies.

This would support the idea that the only GNU operating system is HURD.

Bach uses the term "UNIX system" to describe the complete system, including
the shell, libraries, utilities, compilers etc.

Which might lend some support to using GNU/Linux when describing the
complete system (distribution?) But certainly not when describing the
Linux operating system.

--
Stuart Lynne <sl@fireplug.net>      604-461-7532      <http://edge.fireplug.net>
PGP Fingerprint: 28 E2 A0 15 99 62 9A 00  88 EC A3 EE 2D 1C 15 68