Re: MTRR breaking module joystick.o ?

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 17:12:22 +1000

Vasilios Hoffman writes:
> I ran across what seems to be a possible problem with either mtrr or
> the joystick drivers. When booting 2.2.5 (and 2.2.5ac1) with mtrr
> support enabled in the kernel config I cannot load joystick.o due to
> an error "js: unable to get major 15 for joystick". I have attached
> dmesgs and .configs (tar and gzipped to save space) for those
> interested. The drivers work fine if I disable mtrr when I compile
> the kernel in 2.2.5, leading me to suspect mtrr...

Well, I doubt that the MTRR code is to blame, since it's pretty
self-contained. More likely it changes the kernel footprint slightly
and in the joystick driver there is a bug that is triggered by the
change.

I also looked at your kernel logs, and I note this:
Sound initialization complete
js: Version 1.2.13 using 333 MHz RDTSC timer.
js: no joysticks found
[...]
js: Version 1.2.13 using 333 MHz RDTSC timer.
js: unable to get major 15 for joystick

This implies that you're trying to load the driver twice, which is
wrong. You can easily check this by looking at /proc/devices and
seeing what is allocating major=15.

Regards,

Richard....